Experienced, Professional And Practical

The top 5 reasons to modify your divorce or custody orders

On Behalf of | May 3, 2022 | Child Custody |

If you go through a divorce and get a final order, you might think that there’s no reason you’ll ever return to court. That’s not necessarily true, though, because you may need to modify the orders in the future.

Modifications are typically used when major changes occur in either party’s lives. From getting a better job to needing to move, here are five reasons you may need to go back to court.

  1. You need to relocate

The first reason you might modify your custody order is because of the need to relocate. If you’re asked to relocate for work or you are given an excellent opportunity for school, you may want to negotiate a custody arrangement that allows you to take your child with you or that changes your custody arrangements to give you time to move and reestablish yourself.

  1. You lose your job

A good reason to modify a divorce or custody order is because of job loss. If you lose your job, you may want to ask for more or less custody time, for example, or adjustments to your spousal support.

  1. You find out your ex-spouse hid assets

If you find out that your ex-spouse hid marital assets, it’s reasonable to go back to court to ask for your fair share.

  1. The other parent is being neglectful

With custody issues, modifications can help you get your child out of dangerous situations. If the other parent was caught drinking and driving, using drugs or just shows signs of neglecting your child, then it may be reasonable to go to court with the evidence and ask the judge to change your custody orders.

  1. Your job improves

Finally, you may modify your divorce or custody orders if your job improves. You may have time to see your child more often or the money necessary to put an end to an order for spousal support.

These are five reasons you may need to return to court after divorce. A custody or divorce order modification could be appropriate in these circumstances, so it’s worth considering returning to court to have those changes made legally.